Monday, January 3, 2011

Guest Post: I stole this post from a blog by a woman named Lisa

One Month On...Closure

I said I'd update after a month of trying my new diet; the diet that isn't a diet, but a lifestyle change. So here it is!


I'm truly astounded at just how much my attitude to food has changed. Before, I really didn't think I ate too much. I suppose I didn't, because I wasn't gaining any weight. But I wasn't losing any, and that's what I wanted to do. What I did do was eat the wrong types of food. All of my meals were based around carbs from grains, a typical Northern Irish diet - cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and pasta or rice for dinner. I also had the problem that I constantly craved sweet things and if someone put something nice in front of me, I ate it. I ate it whether I was hungry or not.

The change has been much easier than I thought it would be. I've just taken the grainy carbs out of two meals a day. When I can manage it, I take them out of all three meals. I'm now getting most of my carbs from fruit and vegetables, lots of fruit and vegetables!

At the beginning I thought I needed things like pasta for energy. How wrong I was. I have so much energy now. I don't get that 3pm post lunch slump that I got before. I feel amazing. I had no idea that my diet could affect how I feel so much. It was my birthday a few days before Christmas. I ate cake, crisps and Indian takeaway and I felt like crap. On Christmas day I ate some chocolate but in moderation. I really didn't want to feel like I did after the birthday blow out. Now, I can happily turn down offers of chocolate or cake and I'm only really eating when I'm hungry.

It seems weird that I'm only mentioning weight now, as it was the primary reason for starting this change. I feel now that it is very much a secondary reason. The primary reason is to eat healthy food - to put good quality gas in the tank! The weight loss has been an added bonus. One month on, I've lost around 8 lbs and 4.5 inches and finally, after a year of trying, I've dropped a dress size to a 12!

I want to finish by saying that my consultation with Christine (@HolisticGuru) was the single most valuable investment I've made since my training began. I can train until the cows come home but that isn't going to mean much if I'm eating a load of over processed junk. Some people have said, "what, you PAID someone to tell you what to eat?". Yes, I did, and I would recommend that anyone who is struggling with weight loss or low energy does it too.

Thanks, Christine.

Finally, I've done lots of blog posts about my weight, from not knowing why I couldn't lose weight to having it suggested by medical professionals that something was medically wrong with me. At last, I can put this issue to bed. I have all the tools I need and I know how to use them. Closure!

By: Lisa (http://windymillar.posterous.com)

And the photo... Yes, I know it has nothing to do with my post. But isn't she too cute?!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: